Translate

Monday 28 May 2012

The greatest thing a friend has ever done for you...

One of my absolute bestest best friends lives and teaches English in China. I know she's out living her life and learning new things, but everyday I miss her just a little bit more than I did the day before. We've had some great times together me and her...travels, adventures, laughs, tears, and some very interesting food (FYI, if anyone asks you if you want to try fermented bean paste sushi, just say NO!), but the most personal thing we have ever shared, is my undies. You see, she's rather freckely, and has spent many an hour in the sun, so when one of her moles changed shape, it was time to go to the doctor. She needed a biopsy, but before the actuall cutting could commence, he had to check the rest of her to see if there was anything else that needed to go. Now, this is the thing, her momma was not a fan of undies, and as she grew, she inherited her mommas dislike of them herself, which is why when the doctor said "ok, now, just strip down to your bra and panties and get on the table, and I'll be right back to check you over" we realized we had a problem. Truth be told the doctor was a little odd, and there was NO way she was getting on that table naked! So, when he left, she started to panic. And this is when I had my most brilliant idea, "do you want mine?" I asked. "ummmm....yes please" she said, and thus began the great undie caper of 2009. First you must understand the gravity of the situation, her mom passed away from cancer, her dad has cancer, she has had cancerous spots before, and right then she was preparing to have two inches of tissue removed from her arm. What you must also understand is the logistics of two women removing their pants, tossing undies across he room, one getting on a table while the other puts her pants back on, and both regaining their composure and acting like nothing ever happened amid fits of giggles, in about 2 minutes. Never in my life had I seen a doctor leave and return so promptly! As you can imagine this truly cemented our friendship. Which is why when she emailed me to tell me about her grade 12 English assignment, I couldn't hold back the tears. The assignment was, "what is the greatest thing a friend has ever done for you?", and of course they needed an example. I would have loved to be there to see the faces and hear the stifled laughter of the students as she retold our story! We have shared many experiences, but this one by far, demonstrates the true extent of love and friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment